After appointment instructions:
- Remove your bandage 1-3 hours after leaving the studio (removing the bandage before one hour or after three may increase risk of infection).
- Wash your hands with a non-scented liquid antibacterial soap.
- Apply antibacterial soap to the tattoo and rinse off with a wet
hand (keeping in mind not to put the tattoo directly under running water).
- Pat dry with a clean towel
- DO NOT REBANDAGE
The day after your tattoo you will want to apply a thin layer of Aquaphor or Hustle Butter when dry. Cleaning your hands and the tattoo with antibacterial soap before each application. Do not allow the tattoo to become too dry or too moist. If the tattoo begins cracking, you need to apply ointment. If the tattoo is perspiring then
you are using too much ointment. Once your tattoo starts peeling switch over to a
fragrance free lotion and apply up to five times a day.
When showering try to not let the water run directly over the tattoo, especially within the first week. You can apply a thin layer of Aquaphor/Hustle Butter before getting in the shower and then gently wipe it off after. Wait 30 minutes to apply another thin layer of Aquaphor/Hustle Butter.
- DO NOT pick or scratch at the tattoo. Instead apply a little more Aquaphor or Hustle Butter. If it's itching you can slap
the tattoo lightly.
- DO NOT let your dog/pet lick or touch the tattoo when it is healing.
- DO NOT allow too much sun exposure, if possible do not allow any while it is healing. When it is healed be sure to use sunblock over the tattoo when in the sun or tanning.
- DO NOT allow excessive amounts of water to be on the tattoo or soaking the tattoo.
- DO NOT go swimming/tanning/dirt-biking while healing the tattoo.
- DO NOT neglect the healing of your tattoo, it is an open wound. Neglect can cause scars, discoloration, fading and infection. Make sure nothing unclean touches your tattoo and avoid fragrances. Do not listen to your friends or family, please contact us before taking any advice!
WE DO NOT RECOMMEND USING ANYTHING ELSE TO HEAL THE TATTOO, UNLESS YOU HAVE A REACTION
- Keep the bandage on for 3-6 days – the full six days being ideal. If the skin appears irritated, there is fluid buildup, or the bandage is coming off, it’s okay to remove the bandage sooner rather than later.
- Once bandage has been removed, continue caring for the tattoo by washing and moisturizing as needed, until the tattoo is fully healed. The tattoo may appear to be fully healed on the surface once your Saniderm bandage comes off. However, deeper layers of skin will still be repairing for 2-4 months.
If your given an extra piece of Saniderm:
- Keep the first applied bandage on for anywhere from 3-24 hours, depending on how much the wound is weeping. Replace within 24 hours. It’s fine if there is some plasma/blood/lymph fluid buildup under the bandage during this period, but don’t leave it longer than 24 hours.
- Discard the used bandage and wash the tattoo with a non-scented soap.
- Allow the tattoo to air dry or pat dry with a clean towel.
- Apply a second bandage, and see instructions above for the rest of your second skin use.